Post from Matt
Friday, July 15, 2011
This week I have been able to be with my mom every night except Tuesday when Cousin Amy was nice enough to give me a bit of a break. Thanks Amy! Who knew that going to a hospital would be so tiring.
It is interesting to see Mom's progress and to hear her progress from some of her visitors. Some say that they had long conversations with her and others talk about how she mixed up some words or forgot a name or two. Mom is doing well. Yes, she walks down the halls with the physical therapists and can eat normal foods. Yes, she is more aware of what happened and why she is in the hospital. She still gets confused, forgets things, and says random things that make you smile. For example, this morning I received a phone call before 7:00 am from an unknown number -- not a good thing when you know someone in the ICU. It was Mom. She wanted her purse, but couldn't tell me what it was in her purse that she wanted. I guess it is one of those woman things. I told her I couldn't bring it to her right away, but I would later in the day. She said that she would just have someone take her to get it. Sure...
Mom is being naughty. Since she took her first walk down the hallway she thinks she can roam as she pleases. Last night the nurse said she was so bad that they had to put a restraint around her chest keeping her in bed. I told Mom that the nurse should strap her to a chair and make her stare at the corner like she did when I was little. I can't tell you how well I got to know the floral wallpaper in the kitchen corner when I was little. There were 32 pink flowers, 27 blues ones, 22 yellow ones, and 46 green leaves. One late night Mom really struggled with me because I wouldn't let her get out of bed. I know that she doesn't fully understand everything and why she can't do what she wants. It was hard to see my mom like that.
Currently Mom is low on Sodium so the hospital staff cannot let her have water. This is a big challenge for my mom. She drinks a ton of water. Some visitors have told me that she has asked them to get her a cup or two when the nurses are out of the room. She gets excited when it is pill taking time because that means she gets about half a glass.
A couple people have asked me how long all of this will go on. I asked one of the doctors this the other day -- they don't know. Seeing that they have not found where the blood leaked into her head causes a little bit of uncertainty. She will probably have to get angiograms after she gets out of the hospital to make sure that blood doesn't leak again. Right now she still has the tube in head draining out the blood. The liquid needs to be clear before she can leave. Right now it is a slightly darker shade of pink. As for the memory loss, confusion, etc., all the doctors can say is that some of it will take time, but nothing is certain. It is all just a big waiting game.
Many of my visits with Mom this week have been just the two of us. I ask her about her day and sometimes she can tell me who came to visit and where all the treats in her room came from. She talks about someone reading the blog entries to her, or how much love she felt from everyone. I know that even if my mom is asleep when someone comes to visit or if she doesn't remember who was with her an hour ago she feels the love and support that everyone has for her. We as a family know that Mom could not go through this without the added help, love, and support. We are grateful for the e-mails, phone calls, text messages, plates of food, and genuine concern that we have received. We know that Mom will pull through. How long will it take? We have no idea, but we are in it for the long haul. Thank you --
The Kieffer family is thinking of you from Kansas City, MO. Get well soon Deb!
ReplyDeleteShe conned me into giving her a drink of water today...she's a tricky one! I loved spending time with her and look forward to the next visit.
ReplyDeleteShe tried to get us to give her water yesterday...but we were saved by the nurse....phew! It was wonderful to spend time with her!
ReplyDeleteSuch a lucky mom to have such great sons. . .
ReplyDeleteGod sends us trials - not that we don't have enough already! My reflections of your mom from long ago is her strong will and enthusiasm for life. These and many more positive qualities will see her and your family through. Our love and prayers are with you. Rick Call and family
ReplyDelete