Saturday, July 9, 2011

I'm Proud to Call Her Mine!

Post from Ben
Saturday - July 9, 2011

Today while watching mom I noticed how exhausted she was. She could not communicate verbally with me. She was alert and followed all of the nurses commands very well and the nurses were pleased with her progress. She was able to smile and nod at me when I asked her questions. As mom becomes more aware I can tell that she is getting antsy to get out of bed and move around and this is making it hard for her to sleep. She was able to get to sleep a couple of times between nurses checkups and visits from friends.

As I sat with her I couldn't help but think about some of Mom's attributes that were shining through during this time.

My mother is a fighter, she never backs down (even more so when she is fighting for someone that she cares about). She has shown this fighting spirit several times this week and has yet to take a step back. It might slow her down, but she gets right back up and attacks again.

Mom is a lover, she constantly wants to hold your hand while you are in the hospital room. You can't help but get the feeling that she is making sure that you are ok and her eyes are asking if she can do anything to ease your worry even when she is strapped to a bed. Just when you think that she is asleep and you lean down to give her a kiss on the cheek, she will startle you as her whole body comes to life to lean upward and give you an even bigger kiss.

I want to thank everyone that has gone out of their way to show their love for my mother and us boys. Because of our tough mom and the faith and determination that she instilled in us, by her example, we will make it through this stumbling block and come out victorious and stronger on the other side. I love you Ma!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, Ben! Thanks for the update!
    Valeri Stoddart

    ReplyDelete